DNA: Learn, Read, and Test
Includes the online course Using DNA in Your Family History Research, the book The Family Tree Guide to DNA Testing and Genetic Genealogy, and a Family Tree DNA Family Finder testing kit—$20 in savings!
Unlock the power of genetic testing and apply your findings to your family history research! Advances in DNA research over the last decades have had huge implications for the field of genealogy. By testing your DNA and comparing the results to a database of other individuals, you can better understand your origins, confirm lines of descent, test hypotheses, and connect with distant relatives. When it comes to studying your own DNA, understanding your options and test results are crucial. This learning bundle provides the ultimate tools to not test your DNA, but also interpret your results and enrich your genealogical research!
About the course:
Genetic genealogist, Christopher C. Child will teach you how genetic testing can be applied to your family history research in easy-to-understand terms. The course includes:
- One hour recorded class session
- A brief video demonstration on taking a DNA test
- Handout with key terms and principle
- Suggested readings
- Slides of the class presentation (in worksheet and large format)
About the book:
This plain-English guide demystifies this often-overwhelming subject and explains how to interpret DNA test results, including how to understand ethnicity estimates and haplogroup designations, navigate suggested cousin matches, and use third-party tools like GEDmatch to further analyze your data. To give you a holistic view of genetic testing for ancestry, the book also discusses the ethics and future of genetic genealogy, as well as how adoptees and others who know little about their ancestry can especially benefit from DNA testing. The book features:
- Colorful diagrams and expert definitions that explain key DNA terms and concepts such as haplogroups and DNA inheritance patterns
- Detailed guides to each of the major kinds of DNA tests and which tests can solve which family mysteries, with case studies showing how each can be useful
- Information about third-party tools you can use to more thoroughly analyze your test results once you've received them
- Test comparison guides and research forms to help you select the most appropriate DNA test and organize your results and research once you've been tested
About the Family Tree DNA Family Finder Testing Kit:
With a simple cheek swab, you can discover your roots, connect the dots and unlock your family history. The signature Family Finder test focuses on autosomal DNA, which is inherited from both parents, four grandparents, eight great-grandparents, etc. This test is designed to find matches in Family Tree DNA's massive DNA database on all of your ancestral lines with the last five generations. The Family Finder includes:
- myOrigins, a mapping tool that provides a detailed ethnic and geographic breakdown of where your ancestors came from.
- Family Matching, a new feature that enables users to sort confirmed DNA matches by maternal and paternal lines.
- Chromosome Browser, an exclusive tool for comparing matching segments of DNA (blocks) with your genetic matches.
Each kit comes with instructions on how to complete the test and how to register your unique kit online.
Once the DNA Course and Book is purchased, you will receive two emails confirming your purchase and a third separate email from FetchApp with a link to download the PDFs and/or video materials (be sure to check your junk mail and SPAM filters). Using that link, you will have 3 months to download all materials to your computer or device. Please note: This course originally broadcast in 2015 and does not include the moderated introduction and original Q&A sessions. Your book and DNA testing kit will arrive separately by mail in 7-10 business days.